Stretches for Pregnant Women
- Lift your arms up over your head and stretch.
- Bend at the waist and rotate in big circles.
- Drop your chin to your chest and roll your head around in a big circle.
- Shrug your shoulders up, back, and down, making circles.
- Point your foot and then rotate your foot at the ankle 10 times (repeat with other foot). Point your foot and then pull it back up toward your knee 10 times (repeat with other foot). If you feel a muscle spasm starting, stop this exercise.
- Clasp your hands behind your back. Lift your arms up as high as you can. Hold a few seconds and then relax.
These few exercises will get you started, but don't stop here. There are several very good books and videos on the market today that will help you plan a healthy prenatal exercise program. Talk about your plans with your doctor and then do yourself and your baby a favor and get to work.
Excerpted from The Complete Idiot's Guide to Pregnancy and Childbirth © 2004 by Michele Isaac Gliksman, M.D. and Theresa Foy DiGeronimo. All rights reserved including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form. Used by arrangement with Alpha Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc.
To order this book visit Amazon's website or call 1-800-253-6476.